19 April 2005

Tanami of Oz

Eh? L. Frank Baum's another work on the magical land series?

Oz fans, I'm afraid that I have to let you down. It's actually a desert in Australia, which I'm going to cross this summer. It's about 1050km in length, starts from Alice Springs in Northern Territory and ends in Halls Creek in Western Australia.

Me and my bike we set out from Adelaide. Along the Stuart Highway, I reach Alice Springs and from there I turn left to take the Tanami Track. Then from Halls Creek I have two options: up to Darwin or down to Broome, depends on how much time I spent in the desert. I will cycle between 4000-5000km in July-mid September, the actual distances vary, depends on the situations.

This trip is going to be the single biggest challenge I've ever faced and it's not an exaggeration. Thought I'm not new to cycle touring, I haven't really yet gone too far from civilizations. And it would be the first time I test my new ride, the track condition is not good from what I gathered, the weather is hot even though it's winter and the sheer size and remoteness of the Outback (referring to Tanami here) makes it even more difficult. If something should happen, help might not be there in time, or even none whatsoever at all. I'm going to carry around 40 litres of water (for drinking and cooking, forget about shower) and food for several weeks, in other words, I'm going to haul that 90 kilos on the road. I got lots of remarks ranging from "that's just suicidal, mate" to "dingos will love ya, mate" (oh, they're the same thing).

But, that doesn't mean it's impossible, it has been done before, people live there (although few). And with the right attitude and be prepared for the worst it is very likely that nothing's going to happen in the end. But to be honest, I have my concerns, not really sure if everything's going to be fine. We don't know, nobody knows until the moment is here. The great unknown. I guess that's one of the reasons that make cycle touring a form of modern adventure and why I can never go back to other ways of travel.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck, my dear. And be careful!!!

Anonymous said...

Takk fyrir Katrín. Think if I can pull this off in one piece then the next time I´m in Iceland I´ll definitely do the Sprengisandur and Kjölur.

Anonymous said...

Tough ones. But I suppose you won't be out of practise though...

Anonymous said...

Are they still building the dam over Vatnajökull? I don't feel like seeing it when I go there, it would be a damn shame.

Anonymous said...

They are constructing the tremendous, horrible power plant, it covers a big part of the east. Horrible thing.

Anonymous said...

I think it's build for the aluminum smelter made by ALCOA, another TNC! This is just sad, they are taking over the world.

Anonymous said...

You're right. You've look this site up: http://www.savingiceland.org/

Haven't you?

Anonymous said...

Not quite, my source is the not so much updated www.islandia.is/nature/england/eng.htm savingiceland.com seems nice too, think I'll bookmark it.