01 April 2005

Terri Schiavo

No, I'm not going to bring up some heavily discussed issues (one will never accept the idea of another anyway), and if that's what you're looking for, go to CNN.com or google her name.

Her death doesn't matter to me personally, never even heard of her before tonight. It all began when I was on my way to check the Yahoo mail, then the 3 words "Terri Schiavo dies" accompanied with a picture of her when she was still healthy caught my attention immediately. "So what? People die everyday, in Iraq, Africa, everywhere, what's the big deal about this American woman? You noticed her just because she's an Yank? Yeah, so the states is so much more important than the rest of the world huh?!", you questioned grumpily.

Now don't get political. I'm no prone nor against the states, many take sides and don't know for what reason exactly, just because people say so. Get a brain while you still can.

I found out that we were born on the same day (different year of course), what a coincidence. What's more intriguing is that on the main sign at the front of Archbishop Wood High School, from which Terri graduated, in Warminster, Pa, it says 'Terri Schiavo Class of 1981 We Pray That You May Live', I was born that year. Interesting huh? And then something even more interesting suddenly came to me. The reason why I started up this blog was that I didn't want to die one day without warning and nobody's getting informed. I like to have things settled, even if I'm no longer alive. It's impossible to say what I really want if something similar happened to me, but if I were to lose communication skills of all kind and had my life sustained by a machine, I would prefer to be euthanized. What is interesting is that I was just thinking about death and then the obituary of the person who shared my birthday found its way to me and, subsequently, my blog and, finally, to you, who is reading these words.

No comments: