17 May 2005

Tanami Is Out

I don't like this, but there's a change of plans. Today in school I suddenly made up my mind that Tanami was not for me this time around. Ever since the accident, I fancied less and less the idea of it. So, once more I did my homework through Google and in the library. There I found another equally interesting, but less risking track: the Oodnadatta.

One of the reasons why I'm losing my interest in Tanami is that there're just too much concerns, this would be the first time I meet the outback, I'm not familiar with anything down there and I've been warned against this particular track by the locals and fellow travellers alike. Furthurmore, the accident called my attention once more to ones own arrogance and ignorance. You see, the accident took place because I was way too confident of myself and the belief that nothing is going to happen. Then it happened, oh yeah my friend, shit does happen, they're not something exclusive on the telly. So i guess you can say that it actually woke me up from my own wishful thinking. A timely and mysterious sign (with a price, of course). Well, I'm not religious, but it's an interesting thought anyway. I had several experiences like this and I simply can't categorize them all to coincidence.

Now, about the Oodnadatta. It still connects to the Stuart Highway which means what is required is just a slight change instead of a radical overhaul. Thank goodness! Given the time I have left; the amount of papers I need to turn in in less than a month and other problems, I wouldn't have enough time to do the research thing if it's the other way around. Anyway, it's 645km in length. Besides it lies the Painted Desert, a very scenic 230km one way route, where Mad Max movies were shot. The total distance would be roughly around 4200km. Of course some investigation is needed to have a better and detailed idea/information regarding these new tracks. So I'd better get down to it now.

No comments: