28 July 2005

Tour Report: Backpacker Bullshit

Ever sine I left Coober Pedy the weather had been really nice, no rain at all. I felt fantastic when I finally got out of cities, away from all the gibberish. I met an Austrian girl there (Coober Pedy) who said that she had travelled all around the world and now only Africa was left. Proud was the only expression on her face, her attitude labelled me as "you poor fella travelling on a pushbike- the low culture lot". She had tons of makeups. During the dinner she was talking to her fellow German speakers the whole time. Yeah, you've tavelled the whole world, from what I see you travel by bus or train and stay close to your fellowmen, you stay in hostels where foreigners stay, you talk the same usual backpacker crap the whole time, what the fuck you know about local culture? How can you stay proud of yourself when the only thing you have is the money to fly everywhere and look down on people? With a bit of education and entertainment and you think you know the whold world. And for what purpose you need all that makeup in the OUTBACK?? Yeah, you've been around, of course.

Anyway, I was really glad that I got away from these people. The thing about cycling that I like the most is the simplicity. You start the day, you pedal, you rest, you eat, you set up your mobil home (tent) and you sleep. You have all the time to yourself, you're not in a hurry (well, this varies from people to people) and life's good. Most of the modern day necessities are not necessary here. It's just beautiful cycling. I'm thinking that maybe it's time that I start commuting by bike when I get back, lest I forget about the moments and what I've learned.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Keep going man! And keep up on your own, it's the best for you, you big cyclist!