19 January 2006

Vanity

A couple of years ago a professor of philosophy through chopsticks launched the question "why be humble?" at me.

In the not so long past, by divine chance, I learned from the uni that he was already pushing up daisies.

Quite a shock actually, the first thing that came to mind was that question he made, sitting right in front of me.

Finished on Tuesday the paper on Oedipus Tyrannus and for the next 5 weeks in hibernation are the students.

Was in the library, staring at the Herodotus in my hand, then I looked around, and a sense of lost came through me.

A sense of lost, lost in the sea of books. Lost, lost in realities. Lost, lost in decisions. Lost, lost in three ages.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey,
Beautifully-written!
Have a fabulous winter vacation!

Yokhim said...

yeah you too, don't sleep too much.

Anonymous said...

Excuse me,you are the guy who sleep way too much!

Yokhim said...

yeah I was just talking to myself, it happens all the time, comes without warning.

blogagog said...

What does 'a professor of philosophy through chopsticks' mean? Was he using chopsticks to explain our meaning or purpose in life or something?

Yokhim said...

Through chopsticks: in the literal sense, eating and talking with chopsticks waving at my face, imagine how the italians talk. So his words had to push their way "through chopsticks" to reach me. Hope this explains the sentence.

How was your vacation? It's my turn to be off, am going home tomorrow and won't be back till 3 or 4th of February.

blogagog said...

Oh, that is funny! Well, it sounds like you enjoyed him a lot. I'm sorry for your loss.

My vacation was very enjoyable, hope yours will be as well.

Yokhim said...

Nah, I barely know him, just interesting the whole thing.