15 February 2006

Twenty Five Days Already

Yeah it's the 25th day already, 5 days more till the beginning of the second semestre of my second year in grad school. Haven't read anything actually, a bit of Sophie's World and El amor en los tiempos del cólera and that's it. Don't remember what I've been doing all these time, running around I suppose.

I'm now in the process of rustproofing Irma and it's a real pain in the ass because I know nothing about all the chemicals and stuff and the more I read the more confused I got and didn't know what to do. I sprayed some WD40 like stuff into the frame about 5 months ago hoping that it would do the trick, but then in late January when I stripped the frame off all its components I found that that stuff was still in its liquid form which scared the shit out of me. So lots of researches on the internet followed, after much mistakes, wastes of time, money and petrol going around in circles, I flushed the frame with kerosene and now it's drying itself in the garage.

But of course, this will only get that stuff off the steel and not rustproofing anything, I have to apply something more to form a layer between the steel and the air. Lots of choices: motor oil, boiled linseed oil, commercial frame saver, fish oil, etc. So I bought a can of undercoating paint, but then I realized that it would probably make the bike too heavy afterwards so reluctantly I looked for other options, realizing that this daft prick just wasted more money and resourses on nothing. After having spent days looking for Amsoil HDMP (Heavy Duty Metal Protector) with no success I settled with boiled linseed oil. And I was quite happy with that decision because I finally made up my mind.

But then to my surprise, many of the hardware stores don't carry linseed oil, it has to be specially ordered and it's not cheap at all (at least not in this part of the world) about US$11 for one gallon. And I don't need a gallon, just one litre, but I have to buy a gallon becasue they don't just sell one litre... and what am I supposed to do with the rest? Later today in a painting shop I found a small bottle of boiled linseed oil (75ml), but it was US$4 and I couldn't imagine how much I would have to pay to get a litre. Money or Mother Nature, tough call.

2 comments:

Pop and Tama said...

Sophie's World is a great book. As for the linseed oil, sell it on ebay! Just kidding...

Yokhim said...

well, if you got a bike then I can do the rustproofing for ya then it would not be wasted.