20 August 2006

On Faith and Something Else

Sometimes I find it difficult for me to think of the possibilities that a person should say what he believes in,... no, I rephrase, that a person to think that he believes in what he believes he believes in. Reason behind this is quite simple: how do you know what is it that you truely believe in and not just legacy of the collective knowledge or something else?

The victim for today's blunt libel is religious faith, the thing is that you can't prove or disprove anything, you can't show that god or transmigration of the soul does exist or just pure fantasy, of course, there're are lots of books out there as testimonies to their existences, but they're just anecdotes, good for telling the kids and killing time, but not suitable to be taken as the truth despite how scientifically testified claimed by some.

They try to convert me into a christian and it's just impossible, I'm not going to be a follower to a certain religious faith if I don't feel it myself. I really don't understand why they're so eager and preoccupied in absorbing new members. Yeah, spreading the good news I know, but if I don't truely believe it and yet say I do and get baptised, will that bring me salvation? Or am I just a irresponsible hypocrite and coward worrying that I might go to hell so want to hitch a ride onto the stairway to heaven to get my candies?

So many people say that they believe in god or past lives or whatever, but do they? Do they truely believe in what they're talking about or are they just reading out loud what they've been told since they were little and thus mistakenly think that's what they believe in? Same with the ideologies and everything else on earth.

No wonder Thales said that it's difficult to know thyself. Are you really what and who you think you're? And then again, according to Buddha, the enlightened one, there is no self.

7 comments:

blogagog said...

"...the thing is that you can't prove or disprove anything..."

And that, dear Shuma, is the essence of faith. Without faith, you can't truly be a part of any religion. It's not about facts, or examples of how religion saved a person. It's about blind faith.

If you find out how to develop the ability to be blindly faithful, please tell me. Those people seem to be genuinely happy for no reason at all, or at least very content. It seems wonderful to me.

I'm stuck being an atheist with agnostic tendencies. There's no joy in that.

Yokhim said...

I agree, there's no joy in that.

Pop and Tama said...

No joy at all, but Buddha isn't too dull.

Yokhim said...

No, he's alright. But still I like to play PS2 from time to time.

dodo said...

Agree with blogagog. I can only envy those who have faith, cos they're happy.
The rest of us, hmmm. Too much thinking, perhaps?

Yokhim said...

I don't know if I really envy them 24 hours a day... ah, that's exactly the byproduct of thinking too much.

Pop and Tama said...

Ha, you're too right.