07 March 2006

Thought Constipation

Luckily, I haven't yet had the pleasure of coming face to face with the traditional, substantial and sonorous grimace of intestinal obstruction so far in the first 24 years of my existence, but I'm suffering from another kind of occlusion that is no less traumatic than the well-practised.

Minor yet recurring syndromes includes going downstairs and forget about for what purpose thus standing there for a couple of minutes staring around for a clue; having no idea of the ideas on my head just a few minutes back; going 500kms to the market just a few blocks away and don't remember what I'm suppose to buy and only to remember it timely after I inserted the key into the hole. etc. etc. They are annoying, but not life-threatening. The worst kind, the most poignant type of all that I'm about to utter is a torture beyond imagination, and curiously the other day while reading El amor en los tiempos del cólera I came upon this phrase,

...mantenía la vista fija en un muchacho de rostro sonrosado que lo saludó con una inclinación de cabeza. Lo había visto en alguna parte, sin duda, pero no recordaba dónde. Le ocurría con frecuencia, sobre todo con los nombres de las personas, aun de las más conocidas, o con una melodía de otros tiempos, y esto le provocaba una angustia tan espantosa, que una noche hubiera preferido morir que soportarla hasta el amanecer.

No comments: