07 October 2007

Port Augusta, South Australia

Yesterday I came home early from the library, around 1730 because I wasn't in the right mood for my thesis- sitting there the whole afternoon and can just barely squeeze out a couple of shameful lines, despite the glorious 2 pages the day before.

Today, following last night's dedication of searching for good free Mac games on the internet, I stumbled upon Oberin, a Mac only online multiplayer role-playing game (I know, I shouldn't be playing games but studying). Unlike any other games that I've played over the years, in Oberin the name of your character needs to be approved by a Game Master before you can settle with it, and that gives me quite a lot of headache. First, it always takes me ages to come up with a name I like. Second, my first bid for an official name, Skotos, was met with I'm sorry.

So right now I'm trying to come up with a good one and somehow my thoughts found them drifted towards Australia and the places I'd been while I was there. Well, if I should go to the Game Master with an Adelaide, Darwin o Sydney proposal I would surely be sent back to where I'm now. It's got to be something less heard of.

Then there's Aileron, I wonder if Mike's still working there on his giant statue or has he moved somewhere else? I scrolled down the map and saw Port Augusta. Funny how such a tiny sector on the map would take me such a long time to cover on my pushbike, boy, I did spend quite a while there, didn't I? Long enough that I greeted the librarian the way I would to my neighbour and vice versa, so you're off to Coober Pedy tomorrow eh, son? I got acquainted with the local doc so well, that I even rang him to say goodbye.

I remember the way the commercials put the name of the locality at the end, like blah blah blah Aussie Bloke Pharmaceutical, Port Augusta. They were the kind of low-budget, fast-talking, appearing-3-in-a-row-or-alternatively types. The wounded kangaroo wrapped in a blanket in the backseat of the car; chatting with the seemingly tired girl who went out for some fresh air while I was cooking dinner in the car park next to the cheap hotel; and the two... Blast it! I'm back in my usual in-search-of-lost-time mood, I shouldn't travel so much because that will inevitably produce more "lost times", but the world is too big and the desire to see them all too great, so I'm hopeless.

No comments: