28 June 2005

Twelve Years + Two Steps = A Circle

I made the PC to Mac switch last year, and couple of months ago there was another leap, from Safari (Mac's browser) to Firefox. So far my new relationships are going well, the iBook doesn't crash on me with frenzy like my old Microsoft plus Intel Inside did. And FireFox does perform better than Safari blogger-wise. However, the speed difference is not as significant as many have suggested (and it also crashes sometimes without warning).

About 10 years ago my first computer was equipped with Netscape Navigator. Soon I got acquainted with names such as Mosaic, Mozilla and Mac. It was the time when the best web graphics were only 256 colors and DOS was still popular. The books and magazines I read were all about or related to them. Plain text web pages and maybe some with a small picture of the writer at the beginning of the article, simple and yet graceful layout, great content. I played quite a lot of DOS and early Windows games too, no 3D cards required, single player, MIDI sound/music and yet great games with great stories, great time. I've read quite a lot about Mac softwares (mostly from a company called Voyager, don't know if they're still around), for example, I photograph to Remember, All My Hummingbirds Have Alibis. The magazines were exquisitely printed, almost works of art, elegant covers, solid content, delicious smell and all were transformed into sheer weight, feels just wonderful holding one in my hands. It has articles on all sorts of softwares, educational, tool, multimedia, games, etc., and the most amazing thing is that they all looked so attractive. The design and the whole feeling of the magazine was so great that it's almost impossible to find its match these days.

Then few years later, IE made its way into everyone's computer and Netscape lost the battle. Around that time everything changed as well. The magazine seemed to have sacked the old editor and hired a new one, the layout and content turned shockingly unreadable; the internet suddenly seemed to be filled with lousy sites, bad design and no substances whatsoever. So I stop buying magazines and the WWW surfing was tasteless. Happy days were over.

3 months ago I decided that I would start blogging, because I was tired. Then I saw for one more time what was locked inside the attic and long forgotten. Blogger recommended FireFox as its preferred browser. FireFox, as I found out later, belongs to Mozilla. A sense of joy came from nowhere and held me captive under its irresistible charm. A soft breeze that caresses gently the face, I think that's how they put it. And along with joy came an opposite feeling. Mixed emotions. Mozilla, Mosaic, Mac, Netscape, old magazines with articles on those wonderful softwares, with great contents and simple graphics.

1 comment:

Yokhim said...

Claro, si no fuese por la tecnologia no nos hubieramos conocido, pero lo que pasa es que la gente suele olvidar que es lo mas importante.