10 April 2005

Time Is the Past Tense

Lots of people have died recently: in January one of my neighbours, in February my grandma, not long ago Terri and Pope; I went home this weekend and found that the middle aged man who lived next to our place is also gone.

Though I'm not religious, I went to a mass to pay homage to the Pope, not knowing why exactly. As usual, the prist began his sermon. He said that on the day of Pope's death he received a letter from a friend of his, in it he was greatful towards a woman called Emilia who was very frail in health and was pregnant at the age of 35, everyone wanted her to give up the child, but she resisted. 9 years after the child was born she died. And 85 years later the child passed away too.

At that moment I suddenly understood why Pope was so strongly against the abortion, every life is a chance, a gift, man simply has not the power to decide who should live and who should not. If Emilia listened to the people then we wouldn't have the man who changed the world. I found myelf all of a sudden wanting to know more about this man who holds onto something so simple and yet at the same time noble. Something which in this world full of interests seems to have vanished. Life is, as the constant surprises it offers, magical. Short, compared to the whole universe, yet it could mean so much. Often I wondered why and for what. And yet the answer is something so elementary. Moral, tenacity, principle, something that one holds on to and won't let go even though everyone scolds at you, laughs at you, tells you to grow up, to open your eyes, to be realistic because one simply cannot make money with principles.

Of course this is nothing new, it has been talked and discussed, we've all read a lot about it, from everywhere. For some they would sniff at it because it is cliché. I don’t care to create some pioneering topics while the existing problems exist. The basic is the fundamental, without it everyone falls, no matter how flourishing your rhetoric is; how interesting, creative and refreshing your topics are.

Now I understand why so much people love him because my eyes are blurred too and I just began to know him. The recognition came to me that I always realise something belatedly. Now I just hope that it’s still not too late.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess this is why people do love the pope so much -not neccessarily the religion, but the power he had to change the world and used it, for human welfare.

I am however very sceptic about all kinds of vershipping a person. That's my point recently, people are kind of lost in vershipping single people. It shows by the wedding of prince Charles and Camillia Parker, for instance. And it shows in the small community of Iceland nowadays, unusually strongly lately.

Yokhim said...

Worship sometimes will lead to fanaticism, and a crowd is, of course, blind. It has nothing to do with age, but with the mind. Bloody farce is the word to describe what goes on most of the time these days. The Pope said "el amor es más fuerte", love not only means one adores someone, but also the ability to tell right from wrong. For me that's real love.

In Iceland recently, you mean the paganism?

Anonymous said...

Paganism, no. Just a naive worshipping of person, particularly one artist who turned 60 lately.

I just continued my writings about endless tendency of worshipping a stranger only for being famous... Shame that you don't read Icelandic...

Yokhim said...

já, I see, it's BF then. Interesting, isn't it?

Já, pity, I tried to learn it when I got home, but soon school took over and I got lazy. The story that I was writing is almost there, 4 chapters left, think i'd better finish it before this summer.

Anonymous said...

What is BF???
Of course I'm exaggerating when speaking of worshipping of a person. It's not really a worship as it appeared in Iceland, just people getting lost in others while they should be concentrating on themselves... :)

Yokhim said...

I was thinking about Bobby Fischer you know.

I know what you mean and I think it's got the potential to turn into a thesis. Interesting topic this one.

Anonymous said...

Stubid not to figure it out about BF. Stubid me! He is of course one factor, but yet a very controversal one. :)

Anonymous said...

Hola Shuma
ya he leido todo esto
sigue, sigue, sigue

la vida te esperaq

Anonymous said...

gracias ramón. no te asustes que sé que eres tú, tengo poder sobrenatural!