03 January 2006

Years of History

Ramón told me where they went celebrating on new year's eve. They went to Taipei 101. He said that it was so crowded that there were literally no place to even turn around, they tried to walk back out of the mass, but instead, they were squeezed back powerlessly and had no choice but kept going forward towards the highest building on earth which goes nowhere, but the great flow insisted on drifting towards it incessantly. "It was crazy", said one of them. And I wondered where were those in the front?

Luckily, at one given moment they spotted a hole in the abyss of human flesh and they escaped successfully from the stench.

It reminded me of something, but I couldn't pinpoint it at that moment. Then while I was sorting my stuff because I'm moving flat, I found a postcard which I sent to myself a couple of years ago from Germany. It was George Grosz's To Oskar Panizza (1917/8). And I realized that he was not only an artist but also a prophet.

No comments: